Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good things.

There are a number of exceptionally good things happening right now. And in the spirit of sharing all good things, I intend to list them now.

1. A new Joe Coffee has opened up at 85th and Columbus. I only know of Joe Coffee because I saw a news segment months ago declaring that this establishment (with three downtown locations, one in Grand Central) reigns supreme among Manhattan espresso enthusiasts. Being somewhat prone to periods of unflagging loyalty to particular coffee chains (including an embarrassing 6-year tryst with Starbucks which shall furthermore be known as 'The Dark Years'), I knew that trying a cup of Joe Coffee would likely be my demise, as the aforementioned locations simply forebode me from becoming a frequent customer. But now, my abstinence is relieved by this lovely Upper West Side location, and I celebrated this 90 degree day with my first cup of many--a small iced Americano--simple and classic. And simple as it was, this refreshing combination of espresso and water did not disappoint, and I think Joe and I have an extremely beautiful future ahead of us.

2. I have a lot of really great friends. Allow me to elaborate. In the past week I have reconnected with more people than my sorry excuse for a memory can conjure, most of whom I haven't even had a real conversation with since I graduated from Northwestern nearly a year ago. I ventured back to Chicago/Evanston for an extended weekend to see my beloved a cappella group perform in their annual spring show. Over the course of four days I was able to spend quality time with almost every single person I could have ever wished to see again in my post-graduate life. The ease with which I fell back into genuine rapport with these friends instilled in me a real optimism about life and relationships; about the way that real friendship, no matter how frequent the phone call or close the geographical proximity, is the most natural of occurrences, and something to be celebrated, not to be forced or manipulated or micromanaged. So thank you to all of those who contributed to this discovery--you know who you are.

3. I'm bored. This is good only because I am looking at an exceptionally varied and busy late spring/summer, and this period of down time is essential in my preparedness for my upcoming projects and responsibilities. Switching gears is never easy, but I pride myself on being particularly adaptable, and it is high time for Kate to kick into high gear. Get ready.

4. I love New York. After being in the wonderful greater Chicago area for just a few days, a place I called home for a rather significant 4 years of my life--and a place I love and relish and will always cherish deeply--I know that I belong here completely. Not only is it home, but it is the place where I am most complete. And I celebrate this, because I know that while I want to travel the world and experience as many places as possible, I will always have a home base that completely speaks to the person I am, and the person I aspire to be.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad things are going well. :-)

    Any suggestions for a Canadian planning to visit your city this summer?

    ReplyDelete